Youtube: Video Giant Celebrates Its 7th Anniversary
It was seven years ago, on April 23rd, 2005 that one of Youtube’s co-founders, Jawed Karim, uploaded his 19 second video , “Me At the Zoo”. There was nothing special about this video in it’s production or content. However, who would have known or foreseen that these tiny beginnings would lead to the super technology giant of video creation and distribution that we know today as Youtube.
And so according to Comscore, Youtube, keeps growing and acquiring eye popping stats as their viewers download and view their vast library of video content.
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute; one hour of video is uploaded every second.
- More than 4 billion videos are viewed every day.
- More than 3 billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube.
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the three major U.S. networks created in 60 years!
- In 2011, YouTube had more than 1 trillion views or almost 140 views for every person on earth.
Other notable findings pertaining to ad impressions from March 2012 include:
- 83.5 percent of the U.S. Internet audience viewed online video.
- The duration of the average online content video was 6.4 minutes, while the average online video ad was 0.4 minutes.
- Video ads accounted for 18.5 percent of all videos viewed and 1.5 percent of all minutes spent viewing video online.
These are just a few facts from Comscore’s detailed report , to show you the wild ride and potential growth that still awaits for developing video content and video ads in the future, not only for Youtube but other video content providers.